Only attorneys certified by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California may represent themselves as Family Law Specialists certified by the State Bar of California.
To be certified by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California, an attorney must:
- Be an active member in good standing of the State Bar of California;
- Pass a written examination covering California Family Law;
- Have substantial experience in the field of Family Law;
- Complete specified approved legal education requirements applicable to the Family Law field; and
- Be favorably evaluated by judges and other attorneys concerning his or her knowledge, ability and experience in the practice of Family Law.
Certification by the Board of Legal Specialization is for a five year period. Recertification for additional five year periods does not require further examination but does require continuing compliance with other listed standards.
Certification gives lawyers the opportunity to make their experience and practice specialty known to the public and other attorney attorneys. By continued compliance with the listed requirements, a Certified Family Law Specialist maintains and improves his or her knowledge and competence in the Family Law field.
Names and addresses of all Board Certified Family Law Specialists may be obtained from the office of the Board of Legal Specialization, State Bar of California, 100 Van Ness Avenue, 28th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102 415/241-2136. Specialists are also listed at www.certifiedspecialist.org.
Margaret has been a Certified Family Law Specialist since 1983, and recently completed a four year term on the Family Law Advisory Commission, which she chaired in her fourth year. This Commission writes and grades the specialist exams, and evaluates the applications and peer review support, for those attorneys seeking to become or renew specialist designations in Family Law.